my mother the road warrior

A month ago, my mom packed up all her worldly possessions and headed west. After several decades in the Philadelphia area, she’s migrated to Silver City, New Mexico. In her own words, here’s the tale of her road trip…

Luke and I had a great trip together coming out. Luke knows the way well; he’s traveled Route 40 about four times in the last two years. We pulled out of my driveway at about 4 pm on Saturday afternoon 11/6, made our Trader Joe’s stop to get our road snacks (especially turkey jerkey) and then headed for the turnpike.

We made Knoxville at about 2:30 am but had to search out a vacancy due to Saturday’s Tennessee/Notre Dame football game. I understand Tennessee’s stadium seats 125,000 so there were a lot of fans in the area. We saw many of them on the road on Sunday with banners, hats, t-shirts, pom-poms, flags, etc.!! Thank goodness Luke was up to driving, I could hardly stay awake for the first stretches of the trip, especially at night.

On Sunday, we sated our ribs’ craving at our favorite Blues City Cafe on Beale Street in Memphis, took some time to walk around and picked up a couple of things at Tower Records before we got back on the road. The sun was just setting as we crossed the Mississippi, lighting the bridge quite spectacularly.

We made it to Oklahoma City Sunday night. After a full breakfast on Monday morning, we were on the road again. We had great weather the whole way. There was snow in evidence on the ground around Amarillo but the day was bright and sunny. We avoided Route 25 in NM and took Route 54 south to Las Cruces and then headed west again (and back a little north) to Silver City arriving at my new home around 8:30 pm. On the road, Luke and I both saw a spectacular meteor as it trailed across the sky.

Jason and Andra welcomed us with candles in the windows and a great dinner. Larry recognized my car coming up the road, greeting our arrival with barking even before we pulled up in front of the house. Luke stayed for a week before flying back to Philly and then back to his digs in the Bronx. He was a big help not only to me but the mover hired him to help unload the van.

Everything I shipped arrived safely. I’m enjoying my new home – getting acclimated and job hunting. I’ve had two interviews and have another one scheduled for this Monday. The weather has surprised me a bit. I knew it got cold at night, but it cools off dramatically the minute the sun starts to go down, long before actual sunset and it’s been colder than I expected. We’ve also had more snow than I expected, but so far haven’t needed any of the three snow shovels I left behind. However, on the sunny days, of which there are many, it gets up into the 50’s or warmer. Needless to say, I enjoy the sunshine!

Stephanie, Justin and grandkids were here for Thanksgiving. We had a great time. They brought with them many things that we aren’t able to get here. The kids enjoyed my yard complete with a two-story playhouse, a tree house, swing and lots of buried treasure. We hiked a little, got to one of the hot springs and took in the much publicized, annual Silver City Lighted Christmas Parade.

I don’t think I’ll ever tire of the views or experiencing the great New Mexico sunrises and sunsets. There is so much to explore in the area; I’m looking forward to taking some day trips. I’m enjoying the smallness of the town and the slower pace of the West, however, I’m still in a bit of culture shock. It is the West, complete with many cowboys (and cowgirls). Sometimes it is startling to me, but, who knows, maybe in time I’ll have my own pair of Western boots!!

I look forward to hearing from you. Be well and enjoy your holiday season.

Love, Lynn